BMC FUNdamentals Climbing Workshops... : (02/04/2013)
The BMC FUNdamentals of Climbing workshops are aimed at anyone who coaches or leads climbing sessions, indoors or outside. And they have a new workshop for 2013!
Whether you're a parent or youth worker, a full-time climbing coach, a SPA or CWA award holder or an MIA / MIC working out on our high mountain crags, or guiding in the Alps, these workshops will be useful to you. They will broaden your knowledge and provide valuable personal and professional development.
Each workshop costs £65 for BMC members and £80 for non-members. Not a member? Take advantage of our half-price membership offer and join the BMC for less than £15!
The FUNdamentals of Climbing 1 focuses on the important themes that underpin climbing movement and is part of the training pathway for the Assistant Climbing Coach Award.
- agility, balance and coordination
- awareness of the body's centre of gravity
- and the relationship between weight transfer and economy of movement.
The FUNdamentals of Climbing 2 builds upon the first workshop, looking at how specific techniques can be coached and is part of the training pathway for the Climbing Coach Award.
- precise and accurate footwork
- ways of using different handholds
- body positioning and use of straight arms on vertical and slightly overhanging rock
- techniques to climb steep rock
Prior attendance of a FUNdamentals of Climbing Workshop 1 is required for this workshop.
This workshop covers the fundamental types of physical training for climbing, helping coaches to identify appropriate physical training regimes and is part of the training pathway for the Climbing Coach Award.
- an overview of how the body's energy systems work
- theory and practicals on training regimes to develop strength, endurance and strength endurance
- body conditioning exercises
Visit the BMC Community Site to find out more about the people delivering and developing the workshops.